Please ID because it is the best way to reunite your family. Show you care, follow the law, display your love by licensing and identifying your pets.
| Every person owning or keeping a dog in Lincoln County must purchase a license pursuant to ORS 609.100. Cat licenses are optional, but it will help us return your pet to you in case they become lost.
All dogs must be licensed at:
- when they have permanent canine teeth, or
- within 30 days of acquisition, or
- within 30 days after new residents move into Lincoln County.
A license is required even if the dog is always on the owner's property, is always indoors, or lives outside of city limits. Dogs must wear their metal license tags whenever they're off their owner's property.
A rabies certificate is required and is a prerequisite for a license. You may purchase a one-year, two-year, or three-year license, up to the date of the rabies expiration. If the rabies vaccination expires within the year, you must show proof of the updated vaccination. If you choose not to revaccinate your dog or cat, your license will expire at the same time your rabies vaccination expires.
Why Licensing is Important
- Buying a license for your dog isn't just the law – it can save your dog's life.
- When Good Samaritans or the Animal Servcies Deputies find stray dogs, they can call the Animal Shelter. With the license numbers, our staff can give the dog finder your contact information. In that case, your pet will never even have to come to the shelter.
- Our redemption rate is 42% for dogs, well above the national average, but only 2% for cats. Our goal is to reunite all lost pets with their families.
- If your animal is found injured and wearing its license, it is much easier for us to obtain emergency medical attention for him or her and contact you with the details.
- If your dog is impounded and is current on its license and altered, then the $30 impound fee for a first offense is waived (but if they are impounded again, the second impound fee must be paid).
How to Purchase a License
You may easily purchase or renew a license by mail or at the Animal Shelter.
1. . BY MAIL: To purchase a license, renew a license, or change your address by mail:
Download and complete the application form. Please include a coy of your pet's rabies vaccination certificate.
Mail it to:
Lincoln County Animal Shelter
510 NE Harney St.
Newport, Oregon 97365
2. AT THE SHELTER: We also welcome you to come by the shelter to pay for your license during regular business hours which are Tuesday to Friday 12 pm - 5 pm and Saturday 10 am - 5 pm. We are able to accept credit cards in person and over the phone.
3. OTHER LOCATIONS: Most of the veterinarians in Lincoln County sell licenses at their offices, and you may also purchase a license at Paws on the Sand in Lincoln City.
FINES: There are fines of $242 if you fail to obtain a dog license or if you own or are keeping an unlicensed dog. There is a $10 late penalty if a license is not purchased within 30 days of expiration, and a $25 fee if a license is not purchased and dog is impounded or a citation is issued.
Keep your pets safe at home. Be sure to keep collars, dog licenses and ID tags on your dogs and cats (even if they are indoors), and microchip.